Sunday Salon: Beaumont the Cat in the Box

Our big spring break news is that we got a cat.  Beaumont, Beau, comes from the Berkeley Humane Society which is a very nice facility by the way.  We brought him home on Wednesday and he is still in hiding.

Beau is my first cat.  We briefly fostered a kitten named Bruno a few years ago.  Bruno was a menace.  I don’t understand why anyone would keep a kitten, but even though Bruno was a little monster, I could see why people would enjoy an adult cat.  So, I eventually got C.J. to relent and let me get an adult orange tabby.  After spending time with him we could tell that Beau is clearly a lap junky, which is what we want, and the Berkeley shelter was having a half off sale on adult cats since kitten season is coming up and they need all the room they can get so we got him.  They told us that Beau did know his name so we kept it, but we did change it from Bo to Beau.  I mean, come on.  “Bo”?  Seriously?  Not in my house.  For a while I considered calling him Rimbaud after the French poet whose Season in Hell is excellent, but C.J. didn’t want to spend his time explaining the difference between Rimbaud and Rambo to everyone he we know.  So we went with Beaumont.

Beau’s going to be an indoor cat who will live on the main floor of our house.  The downstairs just has too many places for a cat to hide and C.J.  does not want him getting into his Victorian room.  C.J. has turned the downstairs bedroom into a Victorian fantasy.  He figures he probably will never live in a Victorian house but he can do up one of our rooms in full, over-the-top Victorian splendor. There’s lots of expensive furniture in the Victorian room that he does not want a cat to scratch.

So after Beau spent seven or eight hours sitting in the open box just like you see above, C.J. tipped the box over sending him racing under my reading chair where he has remained ever since.

He is coming out to eat and to use the litter box and last night I caught him using the little scratching post I bought, but he does all this under the cover of darkness.  The rest of the day, he’s in hiding.  I’m told he’ll probably come out in a week or so.

We’ll see.

But so far having a cat is a lot like not having a cat.

In Bookish News…..

BBC 4 is currently celebrating the life and work of Ursula K. LeGuin.  They’ve got a biography of her and the first two episodes of a drama based on The Left Hand of Darkness available on their website.  You can’t download them which is annoying, but BBC 4 radio dramas are always fun.  You can listen on-line.  They plan on doing the Earthsea books as well.

This is just the sort of the that NPR should be doing, in my opinion.  Why is British radio celebrating one of the last remaining science fiction greats of her generation while American radio does nothing special as far as I know.  Still not pledging any money to NPR no matter how cool the tote bags are.

That’s it for today.  Happy reading.

Advertisements

10 Comments

1. tracybham says:

How great that you have a cat. When I was a child we had an orange tabby who lived for years and was wonderful. (And had lots of kittens who lived with our family for years; before spaying.) Our current cat stayed upstairs for a couple of weeks after we first brought her home and would not come down the stairs to eat. She was too scared or shy to do anything for a while. But now she is very sociable. I look forward to hearing more about Beau.

2. Teresa says:

I don’t think I’d have a kitten again either. They’re adorable, but often holy terrors. They just need so much stimulation. But I couldn’t do for long without an adult cat in the house. Orange tabbies have the reputation of being especially sweet, so that’s a good choice. My orange tabby, Anya, is sweet, but won’t sit in my lap, which is fine with me. In time, I’m sure Beau will warm up. If you can enclose him in a small room and hang out there without trying to pet him, it might help. Just say hi when you see him and let him come to you. In my experience, shy kitties are some of the nicest once they’ve bonded with their person.

3. shoreacres says:

I still go through that under-the-bed routine with my fifteen-year-old Dixie Rose. If I leave home for more than overnight, that’s it. Under the bed she goes, and it can take up to 24 hours for her to come out once I get home. Then, we do our dance: I walk around and face her to say hello, and she turns her back. Repeat, as often as necessary.

Funny that my current post has the story of how Dixie came to live with me, at the age of four months. She had a family, but there were young boys, who tormented her, until she escape. She’s been a wonderful companion, and I know Beau will be, too.

4. Lisa says:

Congratulations! Tabby cats are my favorite, though I have never had an orange one. And I like adopting “older” cats because you know what kind you’re getting. With kittens, you don’t know what kind of cat they’ll grow up to be. He’s probably still a bit overwhelmed, especially if he was from a shelter. It’s good that he is venturing out. He will soon be completely at home!

5. Jeane says:

To me a home is only complete with a cat in it. How nice you have given Beau a home. I’m sure he’ll come out of hiding once he realizes it is safe and welcoming there.

6. Beau update. The cat lady from Berkeley Humane Society called today and suggested we take Beau out from under the chair for regular brushing sessions. She said he enjoys them and will start to come out from hiding if he gets them. We’ve done two today and he’s gone from fully hiding under the large chair afterwards to partially hiding under the smaller chair. He does stay on my lap until I put him down whether I brush him or not. So, much progress I guess.

7. Trish says:

Ha! You can tell this post is written by a dog person. 😉 One of the great things about having a cat is how independent they can be. I miss having a cat but my husband hates them and I’m not sure my kiddos can be trusted with one yet. Hope Beaumont continues to adjust! He will. On his own terms. 🙂

1. I have had dogs most of my life. Beau is my first cat. It’s not the same thing, really. But I don’t see why the world has to be divided into two camps. 😉

8. Rimbaud Rambo would be the best genre-mash-up film *ever*.
    And hello to Beau – nothing beats ginger cats.

1. I think Rimbaud would like certain aspects of Rambo. The two of them had similar outlooks towards society.

Comments are closed.