Time for Dakota to say goodbye

IMG_20140623_082151 (2)Yesterday was a bit rough.  We said goodbye to Dakota.

Dakota has been a part of my book blog since we got her.  I don’t remember if the blog started before or just after we got Dakota, but she’s been around for years.

In the banner at the top of my blog.

Eating my books.  Selecting give-a-way winners.  Tempting people to join The TBR Double Dare.

She’s probably one of the  most famous dogs in the book-blog-o-sphere.

She will rest under the peach tree in our backyard.  Peaches were her favorite.  More than once we found her sitting under the tree, looking up at the peaches, waiting for one of them to fall.

Advertisements

33 Comments

1. Trish says:

Hugs. Big hugs. The world’s biggest hugs to you and CJ today. I’m shedding many tears for you.

2. Frances says:

Oh, I’m so sorry to hear about Dakota’s passing. Thinking of you today as you go through the first wave of loss. I’m a new subscriber and I’ve been really enjoying your reviews and posts.

3. juliannem says:

So sorry. Tough to lose our pets.

4. carolee888 says:

Sorry to hear that. Sending hugs to you and CJ. It is awful to lose them

5. hastanton says:

So so sad . We said goodbye to our faithful dog of 15 years just before XMAS ….all my sympathies .

6. Susan P. says:

Very sorry, James. She was a big part of the book blogging community and she’ll live on in our memories.

I hate lymphoma.

7. Lisa says:

I am so sorry, James. She did so well for so long. A friend said that our pets just embed themselves in our hearts, and it leaves such a hole when we lose them.

8. Jeanne says:

Condolences. The peach tree sounds like the perfect place.

9. tracybham says:

I am so sorry. I do know what you are going through, we have lost several pets who were with us for many years. It is very hard.

10. Jim Randolph says:

So sorry. Shedding tears for dear sweet Dakota. I think I even won a partially chewed book from you guys once because she pulled my name out of a hat for something. She was deeply loved.

11. Richard says:

My condolences, James, and thanks for sharing that story about Dakota and the peaches in your time of sorrow. That’s a wonderful way to remember her.

12. writerrea says:

I am so, so sorry. You gave Dakota a wonderful, much-loved life. It’s so very hard to lose a beloved pet.

13. quinn says:

thank u for letting us know and sharing Dakota w/ us….heart felt condolences. quinn

14. So very sorry! and yes, adding to virtual hugs!!!!

15. Our pets are our greatest friends.

16. Sam Sattler says:

I’m really sorry to read the news, James. I think Dakota is what first brought your book blog to my attention. I loved the idea of a book-eating dog and always hoped she would choose her next snack wisely. Condolences to both of you.

17. Safe travels little pup. So sorry for your loss.

18. John-Paul says:

Take are of each other.

19. John-Paul says:

“care” (sorry).

20. Oh, my heart aches. A very fond farewell to Dakota and warm thoughts and comfort to you.
    Judith

21. Teresa says:

I’ve been thinking of you today and sending warm thoughts. I remember those videos of Dakota choosing giveaway winners. I don’t watch a lot of videos on blogs, but I always watched those and they always made me smile.

22. shoreacres says:

I’m so, so sorry. Clearly, Dakota was much loved, and lived a good life with you. It doesn’t make it any easier.

23. Thank you all for your kind words. They were a moving thing to come home to today and meant a lot to me.

24. Just saw your post. So sad, but she had a wonderful life with you both. Sending hugs from across the pond.

25. bybeebooks says:

James, I am so sorry. RIP, Dakota. I feel like I knew you.

26. My heart broke when I saw this on Facebook yesterday. Dakota had such a presence here… she will be missed. Sending you a virtual hug.

27. Rob says:

So sorry to hear of your loss. Never easy to lose a furry friend.

28. I am just glad you let us get to know her a bit. I laughed at the thought of her sitting under the peach tree waiting for one to fall. When I worked in the vet’s as a vet nurse we had a dog come in every January with a peach pit in her stomach that needed to be surgically removed. After the third operation the owners finally cut down the tree. The peaches were just too expensive.

1. As far as I know, Dakota never ate the pits. She would often carry a peach into the house, jump up on the sofa and quietly eat her way around the peach pit which we would later find between the cushions.

29. Jay says:

Didn’t see this until today. So sorry to hear about Dakota. Bless her heart.

30. Randall says:

So sorry. You’re in my thoughts.

31. I’m so sorry, James 😦